Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thread ModesNicolas. This is Nicolas.

• Post #1

Hi everybody!

Since the support board is converting again for the second time in forever, I guess I should commit myself to being a presence on this board.
    I didn't do a dramatic goodbye on support as some people did who'd been around through an even long part of IF/ZB's history, but ZetaBoards meant a lot to me - it taught me skills in web development I never would have learned, and volunteering to help others as I'd so often been helped made me feel like a part of a broader community, more than just a leach on it.
    As I went through the ordeal of moving HNZ to another forum software I quickly realized how special the community on ZB had been - it's hard to find such generous support for even the most off-the-wall and complex tasks that we regularly provided to each other - staff or not.

I hope some semblance of that community can continue to exist here and wherever else on the internet we may gather or cross paths.

Ask me (almost) anything?
    [Image: Nicolas_Sig.png]

[Image: vi6ybH7.png]

• Post #3

You're confused, my friend. It happens to even the best in old age.
    Blue rocks green socks.

• Post #4

Glad you've come on board here. You are right about the unparalleled generosity of the community that gathered around ZetaBoards. I don't want to lose that either. I hope this board eventually finds its voice so that its not just a place to memorialize that community spirit, but a place that continues it.

I'm interested in how HNZ'ers are adapting to the move, and if you think HNZ will take a different direction because of the different features of the Xenforo platform.
    planetnexus.net/community
    forum site networking project beta
    first release is imminent!

• Post #5

(09-04-2018, 02:31 PM)Helena Wrote:
    view post
    I'm interested in how HNZ'ers are adapting to the move, and if you think HNZ will take a different direction because of the different features of the Xenforo platform.
    I think people have adapted fairly well, despite all the annoying hiccoughs with the transfer. They're enjoying some of the new features (profile posts, saved drafts of posts, etc. ) and mourning the temporary loss of things that need reintegration into Xenforo since they were on ZB before.
    They've taken to using profile comments as ways to have their characters leave notes for other characters. I think the alerts have helped some areas regain some activity, but that may just be excitement about a whole new forum software.

• Post #7

Hello Nicholas! Good to see your community is adapting to the new features. It really is crazy how outdated ZB was compared to other software. Even MyBB(which I use) has so many new features. Still trying to figure out fun ways to use them.

• Post #8

(09-06-2018, 06:52 PM)Aaron Wrote:
    view post
    Is Xeno as annoying as myBB? Whistle
    The primary annoyance of Xenforo is that permission masks are just groups - not separate - and that the software is based around the assumption that everybody should be in the same primary group (registered) and added to/removed from secondary groups for minor things. I think this works for most forums, but far less so for RPGs.

Similarly, the complete inflexibility about multiple accounts with the same email was a tremendous annoyance and required us to spend a fair chunk of change to have add-ons developed to help us get around that.

• Post #9

(09-07-2018, 01:35 PM)Nicolas Wrote:
    view post
    (09-06-2018, 06:52 PM)Aaron Wrote:
    view post
    Is Xeno as annoying as myBB? Whistle
    The primary annoyance of Xenforo is that permission masks are just groups - not separate - and that the software is based around the assumption that everybody should be in the same primary group (registered) and added to/removed from secondary groups for minor things. I think this works for most forums, but far less so for RPGs.

Similarly, the complete inflexibility about multiple accounts with the same email was a tremendous annoyance and required us to spend a fair chunk of change to have add-ons developed to help us get around that.
    Sounds like phpBB (at lease the TapaTalk version, I have no idea about current phpBB old phpBB was from what I remember more reasonable).

• Post #10

(09-07-2018, 01:35 PM)Nicolas Wrote:
    view post
    Could you not use the domain for email accounts? Just set the default mail account to redirect to a catch all address, instead of .blackhole, and have the members set accountname@hogwarts.nz or something, this way you will not have a million email addresses set up (I don't know if you have unlimited, but still) and then auto validate without any email confirmation (unless that is a risk of spammers, then someone would have to keep clicking the links to validate. Tongue)
    Dodgy

( Next Oldest, Next Newest )View a Printable Version