Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • Post #1

Hi all,

In the vein of similar threads, this is me, Reid. I started my journey in our community even before ZB was a thing by making small-time JS mods for my own personal IF forum. I ended up making my way to the IFSZ, as it was at the time, although I didn't do much there. Years later, after our board was converted to ZB, I ended up on a site known as (drumroll please) zbcode, which you can still find here (until it gets converted, I guess ...). 

Through many trials and tribulations, I ended up as staff on ZBTZ/ZNR, mostly fulfilling code requests from random people. At some point, I started hanging out on the support board as well, and eventually worked my way up into support staff there, and then eventually to an Admin role on ZNR. Finally, I ended up working for a couple years as a part-time developer on ZetaBoards itself, building things like the ZetaBoards Staff Panel (for those not in the know, a panel that gave support board mods/admins global access to things on the network, albeit with limited privileges to protect privacy in most cases), the Merge Tool (which was used to merge ZNR and ZNS), and some other random stuff like the cite BBCode, multiquote, reorderable emoticons, etc. Of course, even after I lost access to the dev environment and was no longer participating in development, I kept the developer group on the support board, much to the chagrin of some of the staff...

Like many of the other staff, ZB was a transformative experience for me. I now work as a professional software engineer... pretty much as a direct result of my participation in ZNR/ZNS. I look back on those times with fondness.

Ask me almost anything.

Reid

• Post #3

Reid! So happy to see you check in.

I always hoped that Developer group would actually portend you actually getting to do developing. That you were not allowed to was one of the great frustrations we had to deal with. (Not that there weren't lots of others.)
    planetnexus.net/community
    forum site networking project beta
    first release is imminent!

• Post #4

Welcome.

It is weird not seeing your name in yellow though. Tongue

• Post #5

Reid! You made it! It's been a while. Hi!

(09-06-2018, 05:07 PM)Reid Wrote:
    view post
    I kept the developer group on the support board, much to the chagrin of some of the staff...
    You made such great stuff. We just wanted you to be able to keep doing it.
    I guess it wasn't meant to be.

• Post #6

If you want to develop stuff, make bbcode work for here without ckeditor so I can kill the damn thing. Whistle
    Dodgy

( Next Oldest, Next Newest )View a Printable Version