Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thread ModesWhat's a good Linux Distro?

• Post #1

So I might be dual booting to Linux installation just to mess around with it. I've played with Ubuntu, and nothing else.
    I'll be doing development, probably some video editing and gaming. What would you guys (and girls) recommend?

• Post #2

I don't really know. I stick to plain Debian these days, and recently installed fresh with a hint of Cinnamon. I use the net-install and keep it pretty slim.

The last one I used was Linux Mint, which was good back then. I don't know how much it has changed though.
    Dodgy

• Post #3

Ubuntu and Mint are tops for me; Ubuntu when I want some features and flavour and Mint on anything too old to run Ubuntu. Tongue

While gaming has come a long way on Linux there are still a lot of issues that make almost any game with decent graphics a pain in the butt to configure properly. I've only had real luck running games around 10 years old. Oh, and solitaire. Hehe...

• Post #5

Ubuntu is an excellent start. Kubuntu and the others are the same base OS with a different desktop environment, so if you don't like the look and feel of Unity or GNOME or whatever the base Ubuntu release these days is, you can instead choose to go for Plasma Desktop (Kubuntu), LXDE (Lubuntu), or whatever.

I've heard Linux Mint is good to start with, and I've also heard that Linux Mint isn't good anymore. YMMV here, I guess.

Most other distros I'd recommend for someone more experienced.

• Post #6

I actually really like lubuntu. It's my favorite of the linux distro's. My husband Jing loves Mint alternatively though. Smile
    [Image: queenzelda_with_mage_primrose_by_queenze...cjlwz7.png]

• Post #9

Lubuntu is good for a lightweight distro. I'm also a big fan of Mint. Smile
    [Image: logo.png]

• Post #10

I personally like the Ubuntu family.
    Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE are two I definitely recommend.

( Next Oldest, Next Newest )View a Printable Version